/usr/local/www a tradition?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Fri Mar 14 17:12:25 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008 16:48:18 Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 07:29:55PM -0600, Modulok wrote:
> > Is there a compelling reason for placing subversion and web-server
> > data in /usr/local and not somewhere else? I was thinking of keeping
> > all user accounts (human and daemon alike) in one place like,
> > /home/www and /home/svn and so forth.
> >
> > Before I break convention, I just thought I'd see if placing said
> > files in /usr/local was just a tradition or if there was another
> > reason for it.
>
> Break the convention!
>
> Where apache or any other web server looks for its "home" is down to
> *your* apache config.  Different vhosts can look wherever they like for
> their own homes and you can put them wherever you like - no need for
> them to be in the same place at all.

Depends a bit on the user's defenition of 'data'. For some, 'data' includes
apps like phpMyAdmin, for some it doesn't.
Anything installed by ports should remain in /usr/local. Self-respecting
webservers support aliasing weblocations to physical directories, so in most
cases it can be worked around.
In the event you need multiple installations of the same webapp, either use
jails or don't use the ports to install them (and then also don't put them
in /usr/local).

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.