USB printer

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 14 06:57:09 UTC 2008

Pollywog wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2008 19:37:47 Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> Chuck Robey wrote:

>>> You know, while there are printing utils that actually work on FreeBSD, I
>>> can't personally recommend CUPS.  I keep on trying to get it to work on
>>> FreeBSD efvery year or so, then I need to go over to one of my other
>>> systems.  Last one I tried was an Epson Stylus C84, but I've also tried
>>> HP officejets, and I just can't get locally attached printers to work
>>> with cups.  I can get them to work with things like apsfilter very well,
>>> but either someone is going to have to fix the Cups port (it builds, but
>>> nothing locally runs) or stop recommending it.
>>>
>>> Or, does anyone else have it working on FreeBSD?  Sure would like to hear
>>> about it, but I've been trying for a long time now, with no success.

>> I have cups working on my system, printing on locally attached USB
>> printers. I have followed the instructions in dekstopBSD wiki:
>>
>> http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:printing
>>
>> (though I used ports and not packages)
>>

> Did you find it necessary to recompile the kernel with ulpt disabled?
>
> I have a HP PSC2110 "All-In-One"
To get HP PSC2110 just working you can use HPIJS driver and you do not
need to recompile the kernel.
However if you want to use HPLIP to unlock full functionality (scanner
and FAX, PC-copping) you will have to recompile the driver to
disable ulpt driver since it is unable to get the vendor name and
product ID. That is well-documented.
You will probably also need to disable umass driver since it gets
attached to printer before the ugen driver.
In all honestly that is not well-documented. You will also need to start
HPLIP daemons before the CUPS daemon.
That is all well-documented.

#enable CUPS and related
lpd_enable="NO"
hpiod_enable="YES" #daemons for HPLIP HP printing
hpssd_enable="YES" #daemons for HPLIP HP printing
cupsd_enable="YES"

umess driver is needed for Floppy and Flash drives so you might want to
load manually after the boot and
after you unlock your printer.
Cheers,
Predrag