USB printer

Pollywog lists-fbsd at shadypond.com
Fri Mar 14 05:07:46 UTC 2008

12:59:38PM -0700, Gligor Lucian >wrote:

> > You know, while there are printing utils that actually work on FreeBSD, I
> > can't personally recommend CUPS.  I keep on trying to get it to work on
> > FreeBSD efvery year or so, then I need to go over to one of my other
> > systems.  Last one I tried was an Epson Stylus C84, but I've also tried
> > HP officejets, and I just can't get locally attached printers to work
> > with cups.  I can get them to work with things like apsfilter very well,
> > but either someone is going to have to fix the Cups port (it builds, but
> > nothing locally runs) or stop recommending it.
> >
> > Or, does anyone else have it working on FreeBSD?  Sure would like to hear
> > about it, but I've been trying for a long time now, with no success.
> >
> >>     Thank you very much for your answer.
> >>      All the best, Gligor Lucian.

> I have cups working on my system, printing on locally attached USB
> printers. I have followed the instructions in dekstopBSD wiki:
>
> http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:printing
>
> (though I used ports and not packages)

Did you find it necessary to recompile the kernel with ulpt disabled?

I have a HP PSC2110 "All-In-One" that I can use in Linux (printing and
scanning) but was unable to get working in FreeBSD.  I believe part of the
solution is to disable ulpt and recompile the kernel, but I had trouble
getting hplip to work.  FreeBSD does not have hpoj, which is what I use in
Linux with this printer.