traceroute problems

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Mon Mar 10 22:30:34 UTC 2008

>> what do you mean "hardware firewall"?
>
> Dlink DFL-700.

AFAIK it doesn't contain in-silicon logic to route/block/pass packets
according to rules. it works in the same way like computer running say
FreeBSD with network cards, just it's dedicated box.

today the "hardware" is abused too much.

true "hardware" routers/firewalls begins at about 10Gbit/s range, where
making this into hardware make sense.
>> > 4  * * *
>>

>> your firewall (whatever "hardware" means) probably block traceroute
>>  packets
>
> Right - thanks. I will see if I can unblock it then.

traceroute uses UDP packets, no special port numbers.