panic: No BIOS smap info from loader: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=111955

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Fri Mar 7 22:59:20 UTC 2008

Hi Bob,
   Thanks for the response..,

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008, Bob Johnson wrote:

> On 3/7/08, Stacey Roberts <stacey at vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Is anyone aware if this issue is fixed in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE / STABLE?
> >

> It is NOT fixed in -RELEASE and I doubt it is fixed in -STABLE.

Yeah.., I suspected as much..,

<snipped>

> Yep. The HP BIOS is a bit bogus. It won't reveal memory information to
> the AMD64 boot code.

On the off-chance that there might be a vendor issue, I *DID* request our IT
Dept to flash the BIOS on the workstation to see if a later revision might help
in the meantime - can't hurt, will see next week when I can take another crack
at this..,

<snipped>

> > Does anyone have any idea as to where this is heading, or if there's a call
> > out
> > for users to submit more information, or volounteer to test suggested
> > workarounds?
>
> I believe the status is "the problem is understood but the solution
> will take a lot of time."
>
> I have one of those idiot boxes and FreeBSD i386 boots fine on it, and
> runs mostly well, so if that's acceptable to you, that's the
> workaround. The only problems I've had with i386 are that the video
> card is a bit goofy (I've mostly solved that) and the sound system
> acts strange (which I haven't had time to investigate), but other than
> that it seems to run fine. But I won't voluntarily have anything to do
> with another HP computer if I can avoid it -- this thing didn't even
> have correct Windows drivers for some of its hardware.

I did see references to this workaround, but was hoping that there might have
been something "hot off the presses" I could try to work with..,

Will give it a bit of time to see what develops - there *are* "other options"
available to us, but it'd be great to maintain FreeBSD presence where possible.

Thanks for the information and advice!

Regards,

S Roberts