Some questions about installing a web server.

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Mar 6 12:56:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 07:41:28AM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:

> Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> writes:
>
> >> I am ready to install a web server, the main hardwares are as follows:
> >> CPU 4-core xeon 5410 * 2
> >> MEM kingston 2G EEC FBD667 * 2
> >> HD ST146G SAS 15K * 1
> >
> >   Unless you need software that doesn't work on i386, you should
> >   install amd64.
>
> 	Um ... they said "xeon".  Doesn't that mean ia64?

No, it does not.  ia64 is for Intel's Itanium series CPU's. Completely
different architecture.
amd64 is for those CPU's implementing the AMD64 architecture.  This is
also known as x86-64.  Intel used to call their implementation EMT64, but
I think they have changed that since.  AFAIK all of Intel's recent
x86 CPUs support amd64. (This includes all Core2Duo based CPUs as well
as the Xeon versions thereof.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson