Cups server and client

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Tue Mar 4 19:58:49 UTC 2008

herbert langhans wrote:
> Hi Daemons,
> a basic question before I run into experiments. I run a Cups printserver installation on a Slackware server. And now I want to connect from a BSD7.0 workstation to this server to print.
>
> I have to install Cups as well on the BSD-client? Is that right? Or can I access it even simply by setting up printcap?

Yes you do unless you want to use LPR protocol. As you know the CUPS
normally uses  IPP protocol for communication over the network which is
not supported by native LPD spooling system.

You also have to add the file  client.conf inot /usr/local/etc/cups with
the server name which can be IP address. Something like ServerName
192.168.0.2.

Check the documentation http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html