It is safe to build ports for 7.0 from a 6.3 chroot?

Jose Garcia Juanino jjuanino at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 20:35:33 UTC 2008

Hi everybody

Actually, I do the following in order to update from 6.3 to 7.0:

1) dump my actual 6.3 filesystems /, /var and /usr into three new
ones: /rel70, /rel70/usr and /rel70/var (I use the dump command, of
course)

2) chroot /rel70 and mergemaster -p + buildkernel + buildworld +
installkernel + installworld + mergemaster -i and such stuff

3) Inside the chroot, rebuild the ports

4) Reboot the new release

Will I go into problems following this approach? The step 3) is the most
dangerous, I believe, as I have executing 7.0 commands on a 6.3 kernel
(even though only for compilation).

Best regards