Expanding file system

Jeffery Swan scientist at engineer.com
Mon Mar 3 18:11:22 UTC 2008

 Actually, I am using GPT.

-Jeff

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Matthew Seaman"
  To: "Jeffery Swan"
  Subject: Re: Expanding file system
  Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 17:54:46 +0000

  Jeffery Swan wrote:

  > The problem is, df only reports back the original 905 Gig. It seems
  that
  > the RAID controller did migrate my data but left the additional
  space
  > "raw". What I need to know how to do now is extend my original
  partition
  > (slice) to include the newly added space without loosing data.

  You need to do three things in this order.

  i) update the disk partition table to match the new size of your
  composite drive. Essentially so long as your partition starts
  at the same place, you can move the partition end point to increase
  the size without massive breakage[*]. Use fdisk(8) to do this.

  ii) Update the partition table using bsdlabel(8). The same caveats
  apply about adding space at the end of a partition only.

  iii) Extend the UFS filesystem to fill up the newly available space.
  Use growfs(8) to do this.

  This is a job with a reasonably high risk of some mis-step destroying
  your
  data, so make very sure you have good backups before you begin.

  Cheers,

  Matthew

  [*] Ummm... assuming you're using the traditional partition / slice
  thing. If you're using gpt(8) then I'm not actually at all clear on
  how you would go about something like this.

  --
  Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 7 Priory Courtyard
  Flat 3

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?