freebsd-update and more information

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Jun 30 13:48:54 UTC 2008

--On June 30, 2008 2:22:41 PM +0200 Zbigniew Szalbot
<z.szalbot at lc-words.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I read man freebsd-update but it has not answered my questions. That is,
> after I have issued freebsd-update fetch/install, where can I find
> information about if the installed updates require recompiling the
> kernel or system restart?
>
> Thank you in advance!

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought freebsd-update installed precompiled
binaries of the generic kernel and world.  Therefore, you would need to
reboot if the kernel changed.  Freebsd-update should tell you what will be
changed after it finishes the fetch.  I don't recall if it also tells you
what it installed.

Paul Schmehl
If it isn't already obvious,
my opinions are my own and not