freebsd-update and more information

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 12:34:14 UTC 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I read man freebsd-update but it has not answered my questions. That
> is, after I have issued freebsd-update fetch/install, where can I find
> information about if the installed updates require recompiling the
> kernel or system restart?
>
> Thank you in advance!

Not all updates include kernel updates, some are just userland.
If you are running a GENERIC, unomdified (from CD) kernel, this will be
updated in the process. freebsd-update shows you a list of updated
files, and will also show /boot/kernel/kernel if this is updated. You
will also see source files in /usr/src/sys being updated on a kernel
update. Since I always run custom kernels, I just watch for changes in
/usr/src/sys. If there are updates there and you are running a custom
kernel, you will have to recompile it. Otherwise you don't have to. The
uname -a command will still report a previous -p<version> until you
recompile though.