Howto get k3b to detect my Burner

Tim Kellers timothyk at wallnet.com
Sun Jun 29 02:30:20 UTC 2008

Warren Liddell wrote:
>> I don't think that is the problem.  Have you tried it as root just as
>> a test even though it gives you warnings.
>>
>> I don't know what else to suggest right now.
>>
>> ed
>>

> k3b wont run as root & i guess k3b just dosent like my burner
>
> # k3b
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
> kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> kded: cannot connect to X server :0.0
> kded: ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
> kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> k3b: cannot connect to X server :0.0
> ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
> ERROR: Communication problem with k3b, it probably crashed.

Before you try to run k3b as root,  from an xterm (or konsole) in KDE.
as your normal user, type:
xhost  localhost

(you should get a message like: "localhost being added to access control
list")

then su to root and try running k3b.

One note:  I have had trouble allowing other hosts (or users) to connect
to my X server session when I've used kdm as a login manager.  Rather
than dig through the configuration, I usually switch to xdm ( edit
/etc/ttys) when I need to allow other connections.

Tim