cd drive won't open

chip chip at wiegand.org
Sat Jun 28 00:48:29 UTC 2008

chip wrote:
> Oddly enough, my cd drive will not open. Just yesterday I installed
> FBSD from cd and it was fine. Now it won't open. I haven't used it
> since installing FBSD.
> I've tried umount /cdrom but get an error message
>
> umount: /cdrom: not a file system root directory
>
> Doesn't make any sense. I'm gonna shut down the machine and check the
> cables, just in case it came loose.

Well, after reseating the cables for the cd drive, and rebooting twice,
the drive finally opens. During bootup the system recognizes the drive
correctly and assigns it to acd0. But, the orange activity light stays
on continually (not flashing, just steady on) and everything is running
very slow now. It's definately related to the cd drive, but what do I
look for?