Making World For amd64

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Jun 26 21:09:49 UTC 2008

Sean Cavanaugh wrote:

> <freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: Making World For amd64
>
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> No, everything is 100% native.
>>>
>>> Kris
>>>

>> OK, these may be really stupid questions but:
>>
>> 1) How does make world know whether to build 32-bit or 64-bit binaries?
>>
>> 2) Can a binary from a 32-bit FreeBSD system be run unmodified on the
>>  64-bit system?
>>
>> 3) If I reboot with 32-bit or 64-bit kernels, does the system magically
>>   somehow make the userland stuff work natively at the word width?
>>   If so, how?
>>
>> TIA,
>

> I take this to mean you have an i386 install and want to compile amd64
> on it.

No - although that is an interesting question in its own right.

I was more interested in the general question of whether 32-bit and
64-bit binaries are the same or different.  I would assume that something
has to be compiled to take advantage of 64-bit operations.  But this
then leads to the two questions: How does makeworld know which way to
build the binaries and Can a 32bit binary be run on a 64bit system (or
vice versa) in some compatibility or degraded mode...

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com