URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 13:49:21 UTC 2008

Hello,
      First off sorry for the cross-post. I typically don't do this
but this is an important question, so please bear with me. I'm just
trying to get more eyes on the subject so I can (maybe) get a reply
quicker...
      I'm running 8-CURRENT on my machine and it appears that one of
the disks in my RAID5 array has taken a nose dive (BIOS recognizes
that it exists, but Intel Matrix Manager claims that the disk is an
"Offline Member"). After doing some reading it appears that it's
kaput, so I need to get a replacement disk to fix this one...
      That aside, I need to determine how to rebuild the array in a
Unix environment because Intel only provides instructions for how to
use their Windows matrix manager. If anyone can point me to some links
or provide me with some pointers on how to correct this issue, I'd owe
you a lot; in fact the next time you come by Santa Cruz, CA I'll
gladly treat you to some beers or something else you might want :)...
Linux solutions (if there isn't a proper one for FreeBSD) are valid,
as long as the core data remains uncorrupted and I can do what I need
to from a LiveCD. I'm just scared to boot up OS and have it do some
irrevocable operation like fsck -y and assume parity errors are ok or
something along those lines  (I don't remember if I set rc.conf to
fsck -y and I know I can change that from single-user mode, but I want
to play things conservatively if at all possible) :\...
      Filesystem is UFS2 with softupdates of course.
      Point proven that I need to backup my data more often :(...
TIA,
-Garrett

PS If replying on the questions@ list, please CC me as I'm not
subscribed to that list.