xl driver in FreeBSD6.3 fails to maintain connections

David Gurvich david.gurvich at verizon.net
Tue Jun 24 22:46:48 UTC 2008

Hello,
I have an x86 box with a 3com 905b ethernet card installed.  I had
frequent problems in connecting to it and in fact the card
was not up when I checked.  A reboot or 2 would bring the card up, but
it would not stay up, ie ssh from another computer would disconnect.
There did not appear to be any error messages and no configurations were
changed for reboot.  I suspect the card was being powered off.

I have since given up on using FreeBSD on this box and installed
Solaris10.  As there do not appear to be any hardware issues with
Solaris, I was curious if there is a known issue with either the xl
driver or the network stack in 6.3 that may have been fixed in 7.0 .