Simple Text Mail Setup

dfeustel at mindspring.com dfeustel at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 24 00:36:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:00:52PM -0700, Rem Roberti wrote:
> First of all I want to thank all who responded to my question, but I
> gotta tell you, if it isn't one thing it's another.  I opted to install
> msmtp, and it did just what I hoped it would do, working perfectly out
> of the box, including TLS.  But now...I can't receive mail.  As you
> recall from my first post I indicated that I could receive email, using
> mutt and getmail, and indeed I can, on my laptop, which was set up by
> someone who knew what they were doing.  The computer in
> question is a desktop with a virgin installation of FreeBSD 7.0.  I
> obviously spoke too soon.  I have mutt and getmail installed,
> and now I can send from that computer, but when I try to receive
> I get error messages (maillog) saying, among other things:
>
> DSN:Data format error
> Invalid hostname
> stat=User unknown
> savemail panic
> savemail cannot save rejected email anywhere
>
> I have a feeling that this is a no brainer, probably related to what is
> or isn't stated in my rc.conf.  But my newbieness has me on the ropes
> once again.  Any help would once again be appreciated.
>
> Rem

I'm running getmail version 4.7.6. My getmailrc file is

i2/home/daf/.getmail}head -40 getmailrc
#
# This file contains various examples of configuration sections to use
# in your getmail rc file.  You need one file for each mail account you
# want to retrieve mail from.  These files should be placed in your
# getmail configuration/data directory (default: $HOME/.getmail/).
# If you only need one rc file, name it getmailrc in that directory,
# and you won't need to supply any commandline options to run getmail.
#

#
# Example 1:  simplest case of retrieving mail from one POP3 server and
# storing all messages in a maildir.
#

[retriever]
type = SimplePOP3Retriever