Which file can I find the error message that shows on the screen when I build my kernel?jj

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Jun 23 15:12:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 11:03:33AM -0700, dhuang2 at cs.usfca.edu wrote:

> Hi:
> I have make some changes to the kernel files and rebuild the kernel, but
> when I rebuild the kernel, it show some errors and stop rebuild. The
> question I want  ask is that: Is there any file that store all these error
> message, If there is, where can I find it?
> Because there are too many errors occur, I can't see all the errors on the
> screen, if there is a file that store these error messages, then I can
> find all the errors and fixed them.
> Thanks!
> Best Wishes

Check out the 'script(1)' utility  man script
If you invoke it with a file name, it will write all terminal stuff
to a file.  I almost always use it when I do a major build because
it is impossible to catch stuff as it flies by on the screen.

You can invoke it for the duration of a specific command or you
can just start it on your interactive terminal session and then
stop it when you are finished with it.

////jerry