/var full

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Thu Jun 19 16:10:07 UTC 2008

On Jun 19, 2008, at 9:40 AM, Paul Schmehl wrote:

> As you can see from the df -i I posted (to which you responded),
> inode exhaustion is not an issue.

You are probably right about that, but could you also post the result of

  sudo tunefs -p /var

That won't tell us what is in use, but it will confirm whether /var
was set up with funky parameters or not.  Also, the last time I ran
out of inodes, the error messages made it clear that that was what was
happening instead of merely giving a disk full error.

>  I'm leaning toward some sort of bug in mysql version 5.0.51 which
> creates a temporary file (in the wrong place) and then doesn't
> release it until it exhausts the space on the drive.  In any case,
> I'm going to report it to the mysql folks as such and hope they can
> figure out what the cause is.

That would be my guess.  I haven't seen a mention of that of the mysql
lists, but I don't follow the lists closely.   (For the most part, I
just go and clean out the mail folder they collect in every week or so.)

Cheers,

-j