[Ports] How to find where a port is located?

The MadDaemon maddaemon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:52:56 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> Gilles <gilles.ganault at free.fr> wrote:
>  > Currently, to find where a software is located under /usr/ports/, I
>  > rune the "find" command. Is there a database that I could query
>  > instead so that it gives out the whole path to that the application?
>
> In addition to the ways that others have suggested, there
> is also this one:
>
> http://www.secnetix.de/tools/porgle/

You can also use the "quicksearch" option:

root at darkhorse [~]# cd /usr/ports/
root at darkhorse [/usr/ports]# make quicksearch name=dsniff
Port:   dsniff-2.3_3
Info:   Various sniffing utilities for penetration testing

--
It said "use Linux 2.4 kernel or better" so I installed FreeBSD. Now
everything runs better. Why didn't they just tell me to do that to