"Fixing" a RAID

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Jun 19 02:30:58 UTC 2008

Ryan Coleman wrote:
>> Oh, I completely forgot to ask...
>>
>> Does the RAID still operate even though one disk is bad?
>>
>> After all, that is the purpose of RAID-5. stripe, with parity. One
>> fails, the other two (or N) keep right on going...
>>
>> Or, is it a RAID-5 card that you put into operation as a RAID-0 span?
>>
>> If the latter is the case, good luck ;)
>
> No, I'm not that stupid. :) My old job, we had the big LaCie drives and
> one of the 4 250Gs in it would fail and they were f*ed. I went to replace
> the drive right away so I wouldn't be in that situation.
>
> When I went to rebuild in the BIOS it failed at 2%, no matter what 250G
> drive I put in to fill the spot.

Hrm... I didn't implicitly attempt to call you stupid. I was asking a
question, and laying out info for others that may not know as they
follow the thread...

Besides...if you are seriously considering a 7TB storage facility, then
you already know that building a proper RAID solution should include
controllers that are hot-swappable, and will rebuild the array either as
soon as you pop a new drive in, or with a hot-spare, without having to
reboot and waste three hours rebuilding via a BIOS software.

Steve