Atheros (ath) MSI wireless embedded chipset fails to attach on 7.0-STABLE

Alexander Sack pisymbol at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 21:17:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Alexander Sack <pisymbol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Edwin L. Culp <eculp at casasponti.net> wrote:

>>> Well, I have only tested this on the eeepc and can confirm it works.
>>> Maybe different atheros chipset have other problems not directly related
>>> to the hal version.
>>> You do not need to do anything more that what is shown in the page: untar,
>>> replace the existing files, recompile / install kernel, reboot. If you got
>>> no errors during the kernel compilation phase, you can safely assume you did
>>> everything correctly, and the problem lies elsewhere.
>>
>> At least there was a ray of hope for the time it took to compile the kernel.
>
> Ed:
>
> I took recompiled and got the same issue.  If I use the LATEST mad
> distro I get some compile bugs (ath_desc_status was moved into
> ath_desc structure in ah_desc.h) which I can't completely work around
> (apparently the API into the HAL has changed as well).  What I'm
> trying to do is look at the Linux driver and understand the newer API
> in order to get past this compile issue and see if this works.
> Otherwise I believe we are SOL.
>
> Does anyone know if the CURRENT contains an updated ath HAL AND driver
> for support of newer PCIe based chipsets?
>
> If I get it to work I will let you know...

Ok the trick is not to get it from the madfi project.  Get it from the
author directly!

If you grab:

http://people.freebsd.org/~sam/ath_hal-20080528.tgz

Copy the contents into the src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/* and recompile,
you should now see ath attach properly to the your NIC card.  Thanks
go to my friend jkim for pointing this out since he has a similar
notebook/chipset and runs CURRENT successfully.  I tried using CURRENT
ath but there is to much vap support in it and it turned out the
7.0-RELEASE driver works.

Now ath attaches properly and I'm going to test it out!  (this is at
least much further than a bad attach status code from the HAL).

Let me know how it goes,

-aps