sendmail's outgoing IPs

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sun Jun 15 10:21:13 UTC 2008

> Pardon my lack of imagination, but how could anyone -- other
> than a spammer -- be generating enough outbound email traffic
> to *need* to load-balance it, and yet have little enough
> total Internet traffic to be using DSL rather than something
> oriented to commercial use (like a T1)?

the reason is simple

something like "T1" here costs far too much to dedicate it just for mails.

for the same price i can get four "4Mbit/s" ADSL's (which i have now),
that actually gives 4Mbit/s download speed, but only 512kbps upload.
if you substract ACK's needed for 4Mbit/s download, little is left.
my ipfw rules manages all this so web browsing works fine, but mail output
is a problem now.