Is FreeBSD suitable for my thinkpad T61 ?

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Jun 13 22:44:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:31:41PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> >the thing with windoze is that you don't have a choice - in fact, until
> >recently you couldn't even have multiple desktops.
>
> it's OK. users that REQUIRE lots of graphics etc.. don't usually make use
> of it. so what's wrong with windoze. right software for the right people.
>
> >with *nix and the creativity inspired by open source there are many,
> >many opportunities.
>
> in unix - as you say - you have a choice in every place. so that's good
> that "desktop usage" isn't "improved" in FreeBSD as this improvement ==
> lack of choice.
>
> for those who don't like to "hack the system", just have everything just
> put up and ready to use, there is already windows!

. . . but you'd still get a "cooler" desktop by going with something
else, like MacOS X, Ubuntu, or PC-BSD (in increasing order of "coolness"
in the glitzy, unnecessary dancing rodents sense) without having to
actually express any personal preferences during setup.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
I was essentially an anarcho-capitalist in high school, rather than