Restoring freeBSD boot loader

Lionel lionel.flandrin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 22:41:32 UTC 2008

  I've had to install Windows XP in dual boot on a freeBSD box, and of
course it erased the bootloader to replace it with its own. Now I'd like
to restore the freeBSD bootloader.

  I've tried booting with the install CD and I use the fdisk utility to
mark the fbsd partition bootable and then said I wanted to install the
freeBSD bootloader, but I didn't know how to make it actually write the
changes to the disk.

  So... is it possible to restore the bootloader this way? Maybe I could
install lilo from a live CD but I don't want to install grub from
windows because I'll probably remove it soon, but I think lilo just
places itself in the boot segment so it should be fine.

  Any help would be most welcome...

--
Lionel