Asus A7V-E and ACPI.

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Thu Jun 12 17:55:37 UTC 2008

I'm running a Fileserver on a now ancient Asus A7V-E box. Until last
week this box ran FreeBSD 6.2 and it worked okay. Now it runs 7.0-
STABLE. Before last night I had a pair of PCI Dec Tulip Nics in it.
I've since replaced that with a Dual Intel Pro/100 (yes, 100, not 1000
if you saw my other post). My problem is with ACPI.

When I boot the box with ACPI enabled it cannot allocate all the
resources needed for both tulip nics.

When I boot the box without ACPI, it can allocate the resources to
make everything work but I cannot reboot or shutdown the box.

I'd like some suggestions about how I can either tune the box so that
the shutdown commands work right with ACPI enabled.

I'd accept some suggestions about how to get the box to properly
allocate resources with ACPI disabled.

Currently the box works because I've reduced the resources by using a
Dual Nic but if the time comes that I have to add some other resources
I'd like to have some options.

-- Chris

Chris Hilton                       tildeChris -- http://myblog.vindaloo.com
                                         email -- chris/at/vindaloo/
dot/com
.~
~
.--.~
                          "I'm on the outside looking inside, What do
I see?
                                Much confusion, disillution, all
around me."
                                          -- Ian McDonald / Peter