FreeBSD and User Security

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 20:55:14 UTC 2008

Hi All,

Today I read an article describing how my government had lost ZAR200 000 000
from fraud.  This is just under $25 000 000.  The article credited this loss
largely due to the use of spyware.

My question is how secure is FreeBSD (including KDE, GNOME and XFCE) to
attacks, including cracking and spyware.  In addition, is there anyway to
prevent a user from executing a program that is not owned by root (i.e. any
program installed by the user), this would prevent spyware being installed
(assuming root has been properly locked down) and subsequently run.

If anyone, in addition, has answers for Linux and *BSD it would be great to
know as well.

Best Regards

David