Poor read() performance, and I can't profile it

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed Jun 11 19:43:29 UTC 2008

On Thursday 05 June 2008, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> I was testing the same software on my desktop PC when I noticed that it
> ran *much* faster, and found that it was spending only about 1% as much
> time in the kernel on Linux as it was on FreeBSD.

I'm almost ready to give up on this.  I've gone as far as completely rewriting the
original C++ program into straightforward C, and still the performance is terrible on
FreeBSD versus Linux.

On Linux:

$ time ./cdbf /tmp/invoice.dbf >/dev/null
./cdbf /tmp/invoice.dbf > /dev/null  42.65s user 20.09s system 71% cpu 1:28.15 total

On FreeBSD:

Also note that on the FreeBSD machine, I have enough RAM that to buffer the entire
file, and in practice gstat shows that the drives are idle for subsequent runs after
the first one.

Right now my code looks a lot like:

   for(recordnum = 0; recordnum < recordcount; recordnum++) {
	buf = malloc(recordlength);
	fread(buf, recordlength, 1, dbffile);

        /* Do stuff with buf */

        memoblock = getmemoblock(buf);
        /* Skip to the requested block if we're not already there */
	if(memoblock != currentmemofileblock) {
	    currentmemofileblock = memoblock;
	    fseek(memofile, currentmemofileblock * memoblocksize, SEEK_SET);
	}
	memohead = malloc(memoblocksize);
	fread(memohead, memoblocksize, 1, memofile);
	currentmemofileblock++;

        /* Do stuff with memohead */

        free(memohead);
	free(buf);
    }

...where recordlength == 13 in this one case.  Given that the whole file is buffered in
RAM, the small reads shouldn't make a difference, should they?  I've played with
setvbuf() and it shaves off a few percent of runtime, but nothing to write home about.

Now, memofile gets quite a lot of seeks.  Again, that shouldn't make too much of a
difference if it's already buffered in RAM, should it?  setvbuf() on that file that
gets lots of random access actually made performance worse.

What else can I do to make my code run as well on FreeBSD as it does on a much wimpier
Linux machine?  I'm almost to the point of throwing in the towel and making a Linux
server to do nothing more than run this one program if I can't FreeBSD's performance
more on parity, and I honestly never thought I'd be considering that.

I'll gladly give shell access with my code and sample data files if anyone is
interested in testing it.
--
Kirk Strauser