FreeBSD + ZFS on a production server?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Jun 11 17:57:38 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
 > 3) a CPU,cache and memory bandwidth hogging "feature" of checksumming all
 > blocks. thing that are already done in disk hardware. fortunately you can
 > turn this off

Obviously you have been lucky to never be a victim of
silent disk corruption (or you just haven't noticed).
There are other people who didn't have that much luck,
including me.

ZFS' checksumming and self-healing is a blessing.  If
you don't know how it works and call it marketing blah,
then I suggest you read up on it a bit.

And by the way, it doesn't take any significant amount
of CPU power on hardware that is not ancient.  I agree
that ZFS is not suitable to run on ancient hardware.
It isn't designed for that.

You're free to use UFS, of course, and keep suffering
from its shortcomings.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python is an experiment in how much freedom programmers need.
Too much freedom and nobody can read another's code; too little
and expressiveness is endangered."
        -- Guido van Rossum