OT: lots of IPv6 DNS requests

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Jun 11 15:35:05 UTC 2008

It seemed that the OP's claim was that he had NOT asked the
parents of his domain to point any nameserving to his machine.

It used to be that people would at times use random nameservers
on the Internet that they discovered, rather than using their
own ISP's nameserver.  The advent of IP-based filtering for
BIND which allows you to specify only non-recursive queries to
be answered from IP blocks that are not your own, pretty much put
a stop to that.  But for whatever reason, sometimes you can't
employ IP-based filtering, and you have to setup a nameserver
to answer recursive queries from anyone, even though you may
still only want the world to be making non-recursive queries
to it.

The suggestion to use wildcards to issue bogus responses is
the general suggestion to "convince" goofballs on the Internet
that happen to come across your recursive-query-responding
nameserver that you do not want them to use to make recursive
queries, to go elsewhere.

Obviously if you intentionally are listing your nameserver in
a parent zone, and you employ this trick, you will need to
setup a new nameserver on a different IP and change the parent
zone.

I figured though, that anyone who knew what they were doing
would have grasped that concept, however.

> which you then use to serve
> crap records, strikes me as somewhat counterproductive.  And I really
> fail to see why whomever runs the parent zone would even notice.

The OP claimed that he was getting an excessive number of
DNS requests, implying that his parent was redirecting a lot
of queries to him that he wasn't supposed to get.  If his
parent is doing that because they misconfigured their own nameserver,
then anyone depending on their nameserver will get crap records
back, and likely complain.

I think the issue is that you are assuming his parent zone
admins are doing the Correct Thing when they have configured
their own nameservers.  The OP was insistent that his parent
zone admins were doing the Wrong Thing when they configured
their own nameservers.  Thus, my suggestion is essentially telling
the OP that if he is so insistent that his parents are screwed
up, then he can put his money where his mouth is and wildcard
a porno site.

As we saw by his response to my suggestion, when the OP was
challenged to do this, he rapidly backwatered.  Since backwatering
he no longer can claim (at least on this list) that his parent
admins are idiots, and thus I assume is now open to examining
his own config a bit more closely.  (which is what you were
telling him to do all along)

Sometimes if you want the horse to drink, you have to let them
run in the opposite direction of the pond.

Ted