FreeBSD-like linux distro?

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed Jun 11 11:05:16 UTC 2008

Heikki Suonsivu wrote:
> I need to get something to run on x86 computers which do not contain
> math in hardware, and FreeBSD dropped non-math cpus long time ago.
> NetBSD did the same, so Linux seems to be the only possibility.
>
> So, the question:
>
> What is the linux distro which is closest to FreeBSD in terms of
> installation and use.  A linux with basic userland and ports(-like)
> system, and quick and easy install like FreeBSD ?
>
> Heikki Suonsivu

I don't think you will have much luck installing any modern linux distro
on ancient hardware. In your case, I would consider running an older
version of FreeBSD, like e.g. 4.11. This will work without a math
co-processor. You can see the hardware notes here:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.11R/hardware-i386.html

Download from ftp-archive, here:

ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.11

See also this very interesting post on minimum memory requirements for
each FreeBSD version:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2006-August/011029.html

I have a 4.11 installed successfully on a 386 with 20Mb RAM.

You could also go with a Linux version specifically for old PCs, but
better have a look at distrowatch.com for these.