Playing back motion jpeg saved by firefox

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Tue Jun 10 17:46:19 UTC 2008

dfeustel at mindspring.com wrote:
> I just discovered that firefox can save motion video
> in addition to displaying it. But I don't know how
> to play back the saved video.cgi file. Mplayer
> complains about missing configuration data.
>
> Does anyone know how to play back the file saved
> by firefox?

In this instance, firefox is simply saving the stream of data from the
server, and giving it a name that matches the last path component in the
URL (in this case, video.cgi). The format of the file is not likely to
be understood by anything other than firefox (at least, as I've found),
as it is most likely a multipart/mime-encoded file containing a sequence
of images, like from an internet-enabled webcam.

Your best bet, if this is the case, is to use a mime parser to extract
each of the individual pictures from the file, then use a proper video
encoder to glue them together with the appropriate metadata to allow
video players to understand them. Mplayer's mencoder can do so, and can
even encode to MJPEG, for little to no loss in quality; although you may
have issues choosing a proper framerate, as mime-based image streaming
isn't always stable.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo