wireless drops connection

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue Jun 10 15:21:10 UTC 2008

I've gone from using CAT5 to 802.11g for my laptop's network connectivity
while I'm at home.  Unfortunately, since I've done so, my connection
drops from time to time, and I usually don't notice for a while.  The
period between drops does not seem to be constant, however, as I lost my
connection at some point yesterday without noticing, but when I did
notice I reestablished contact, then lost my connection again a few
minutes later.  The connection has not dropped again since then, however.

I'm using an Intel 2200BG adapter (Centrino chipset) with WPA encryption
and the wpa_supplicant connection manager.  My wpa_supplicant.conf:

  ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
  ctrl_interface_group=wheel

  # netwerk
  network={
    ssid="netwerk"
    psk="ssdpbwqaougj6hr9"
  }

(PSK changed to protect the guilty)

When the connection drops, I get the following in /var/log/messages:

  Jun  9 23:14:21 hostname kernel: iwi0: link state changed to DOWN
  Jun  9 23:14:28 hostname kernel: iwi0: scan stuck
  Jun  9 23:14:34 hostname kernel: iwi0: could not allocate firmware DMA
  memory

(watch the line wrap)

In case it isn't obvious, "iwi0" is my wireless interface.

All /va/log/dmesg seems to show is this:

  iwi0: link state changed to DOWN
  iwi0: scan stuck

Any ideas on where to go from here would be appreciated.  Is this a
driver bug, or am I doing something wrong?  Another (effectively
identical) laptop running Debian does not have this problem.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed PDL: http://pdl.apotheon.org ]
Bill McKibben: "The laws of Congress and the laws of physics have grown