Adding a second disk to increase the space for /var on first dislk : but umount /var failed

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Tue Jun 10 14:55:30 UTC 2008

dhaneshk k wrote:

> I followed as per the  directions  up to this
>

>> Now, unmount /var and /mnt and mount your new var:
>>
>> umount   /var   /mnt
>> mount -o rw /dev/da1s1e  /var
>>
>> Edit /etc/fstab and update it for the new disk:
>>
>>  /dev/da1s1e      /var       ufs      rw     2    2
>>

> I am able to   umount  /mnt                       but not   /var
>

> [root at storm ~]# umount /var/
> umount: unmount of /var failed: Device busy
> [root at storm ~]# umount /mnt/
> [root at storm ~]# umount /var/
> umount: unmount of /var failed: Device busy
> [root at storm ~]# df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad7s1a    496M    329M    127M    72%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad7s1e    496M    5.4M    451M     1%    /tmp
> /dev/ad7s1f     44G     38G    2.9G    93%    /usr
> /dev/ad7s1d    1.4G    221M    1.1G    16%    /var
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /var/named/dev
> [root at storm ~]# umount /dev/ad7s1
> ad7s1   ad7s1a  ad7s1b  ad7s1c  ad7s1d  ad7s1e  ad7s1f
> [root at storm ~]# umount /dev/ad7s1d
> umount: unmount of /var failed: Device busy
> [root at storm ~]# umouny /var/
> bash: umouny: command not found
> [root at storm ~]# umouny /var
> bash: umouny: command not found
> [root at storm ~]# umount /var
> umount: unmount of /var failed: Device busy
> [root at storm ~]# pwd
> /root
> [root at storm ~]# umount /var
> umount: unmount of /var failed: Device busy
> [root at storm ~]#
>

> getting an error   Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy.
>
> Details  hal-storage-fixed -mount    refused uid 0       How to fix this and umount /var

Notice I have asked you to switch to single user mode before copying or
unmounting var.
But from your prompt, I understand you are still running full multiuser,
and of course, /var will not unmount then.
Remount /usr and issue the command:

shutdown now

to switch to single user mode. You need console access for this, do not
attempt it remotely (unless you have a serial console) !
Then continue from the point you copy the data using the tar command. If
you have already copied data from /var to the new partition, this may
well be stale since /var was in use. You may wish to newfs the new
partition again in this case.