no reverse DNS causing connectivity problems

Jake Evans jakeevans at ircds.com
Tue Jun 10 02:12:46 UTC 2008

[Please cc in replies, not currently subscribed. Thank you.]

I have a quick question that I can't seem to find an answer to via Google
so far.

I've had a few people complain that when they telnet/ssh/ftp/web to our
server, it's slow... I've traced the problem to them having no reverse on
their IPs.

So basically their connection kinda hangs while the system waits to
timeout on looking up their IP's reverse.

>From what I can tell, I should be able to just set "options timeout:n" and
"options attempts:n" in resolv.conf.. BUT it seems FBSD's install doesn't
allow you to do this.

Does anyone know a workaround to this? I thought maybe of changing it
directly in resolv.h but then I'd have to rebuild world I think..? Is
there perhaps a sysctl solution?

Thank you so much for your time.