FreeBSD + ZFS on a production server?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Mon Jun 9 21:31:46 UTC 2008

> I haven't heard/read about any huge CPU consumptions from ZFS, not yet

as i already said. most people today have problems as they have too fast
CPU and too much RAM ;)

they don't see high CPU load on quad core machine with 16GB RAM having not
big load :)

> For the memory I've read that ZFS use up to approximately 700MB of ram

UFS use what's unused. works on 16MB and 16GB.

> project anyway. The live-cd hangs on "device detect".
> One of the pros for OpenSolaris I've noticed is the support for a
> virtual host

man jail

while maybe not with resource control like on solaris, but i use it with
success. it's really excellent.

but use nullfs with it to be able to share binaries.

> I have now found a filesystem for linux that do checksum on the fly,
> btrfs.

but why you need it?! all PATA/SATA drives do checksumming on every read.
in hardware, no CPU load.