Installing freeBSD

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:19:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:24:13AM -0700, Huu Daud wrote:

> Hello,
> Greetings,
> Iam new to this forum and to the Unix. My interest is to install and
> configure freeBSD on my desktop computer.I have downloaded the iso for i386.
> and burn on the CD and DVD.My problem is when I boot from the CD or DVD ,
> it didnt send me to the screen for selection options as it is shown on the
> web.  Instead, it sends me to the A drive prompt(DOS).Is it possible to
> install from the DOS?.How then.

I am having a little trouble picturing what you got.  It doesn't sound
like something I have seen when booting from a CD.

First, is there something in your floppy drive?   If so, take it out.

Second, your BIOS boot sequence should be:  Floppy, CD, hard disk
If it doesn't happen to have the CD in the BIOS sequence, then
put it there.

When you start to boot from the CD, then just let it continue.
It might put up a boot menu, but you should be able to just wait
and take the default.

Past that, there should be no other prompt or menu after that
besides install selection stuff.

////jerry