wireless help

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Jun 9 12:55:15 UTC 2008

> ifconfig

This looks ok. Mind you, I'm not all that up on wireless, so I don't
know if that could be part of your issue.

> arp
> ? (192.168.1.3) at (incomplete) on ath0 [ethernet]
> ? (192.168.1.254) at (incomplete) on ath0 [ethernet]

This is generally telling you that you have recently attempted to
communicate to the IP's, and address resolution is in progress (and in
your case, most likely will timeout).

The rest of your message is irrelevant at this point, since you can't
even resolve the layer 2 addresses on the local link.

I'd have to say at this point that either there is a problem with the
wireless config on the FreeBSD machine, or there is a firewall on the
machine blocking your traffic.

Does the linksys show you as connected? If you enable DHCP on the
linksys, does it register a client lease for the box?

If you cable yourself directly to the Linksys (as opposed to wireless)
with the same IP configuration, does it work then?

Steve