FreeBSD 7 on Windows 2008 (Hyper-V)

Nejc Škoberne nejc at skoberne.net
Mon Jun 9 12:07:41 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am also (very) interested in running FreeBSD under HyperV since HyperV will
liberate itself from Windows Server soon after the final release (it will not depend
on an preliminary Windows Server installation but will be "standalone" and
practically free of charge, which makes it (for me) a very interesting solution).

>> Im trying to set up a FreeBSD VM under Hyper-V but i the instalation
>> do not start. i try x86 and x64 boot disk only (for a net install).
>> The error i got is "cant load kernel".
>>
>> Im a novice on FreeBSD but i have set up a few small server with it. Any idea?
>
> You didn't say which version of FreeBSD you are trying.
>
> Please try a snapshot of 8-CURRENT (from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/) to see if anything
> changes. There have been improvements to the boot loader recently.

I've heard that it works (at least boots) with 8-CURRENT. Are there plans to
include support for FreeBSD 7.x branch too? That would be really cool. Yes, I
know, patches are welcome.

Thanks,
Nejc