What consists FreeBSD Libc?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Sun Jun 8 20:18:48 UTC 2008

> Its great to get it confirmed that FreeBSD Libc is only /usr/src/lib/libc/* as I presumed.
>
> I have compiled and installed the FreeBSD Libc into a temp directory. The size of /tmp/libc.so.7 is about 65,000 bytes smaller than /lib/libc.so.7.
>
> The /lib/libc.so.7 is dated May 25, 2008. I did not touch CFLAGS or anything other than DESTDIR. But I really forgot, the gcc version is different. The /lib/libc.so.7 is by gcc 4.2.1, but the /tmp/libc.so.7 is by gcc 4.3.0. May be the code generation of the latest gcc may be better.

indeed it is better. while difference between gcc 3.* and 4.* is HUGE in
respect of code size. after i upgraded to FreeBSD 7 from 6.3 (so gcc got
upgraded to 4.*) i recompiled bash. same version, >20% smaller!

finally gcc turned to rule "small code=fast code", always true on
processors with at least 1 level of cache, not mentioning 2 or 3 cache
levels :)