FreeBSD + ZFS on a production server?

Anders Häggström hagge.lists at intercorner.net
Sun Jun 8 18:01:30 UTC 2008

Thanks for the quick answers!

2008/6/8 Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de>:
> Just in case you assume that ZFS on OpenSolaris 2008.05
> would be superior to ZFS on FreeBSD, this hasn't been my
> experience.
Yes, I assumed that because Sun can implement and optimize ZFS to fit
OpenSolaris, while we run the risk with FreeBSD to implement bugs
while we implement ZFS.

2008/6/8 Dick Hoogendijk <dick at nagual.nl>:
> The best stable (production) server with ZFS is solaris-10u5
> If you want to boot off ZFS, S10u6 will support that.
>
> But these versions too need lots of ram. I think fbsd has a lighter
> footprint.
As you might have read, I have quite a lot of RAM available on this
server (4GB), but ofcource I want the operating system to take as
little as possible so that I have as much RAM as possible over for the
server processes to work with (mostly web-server and mysql-server).

According to a page I have found it says that some basic
(FreeBSD-specific) functions are not ready, how does that affect ZFS
in general?
http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS

Regards
Anders