[OT]Change font for aterm

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sun Jun 8 17:52:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 06:06:38PM +0100, Kemian Dang wrote:

> 2008/6/8 Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk>:
> > On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 03:41:53PM +0100, Kemian Dang wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear All,
> >>
> >> I used to use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono in Gnome-terminal, by change
> >> the configure in the menu.
> >> Now I am using aterm, but I also want to use that font.
> >>
> >> I can see it by fc-list:
> >>
> >> [3:39pm:kemian] ~> fc-list | grep "Sans Mono"
> >> Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold
> >> Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Oblique
> >> Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Bold Oblique
> >> Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Roman
> >>
> >> I add entry in .Xresources:
> >>
> >> Aterm*font:   xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:style=Roman
> >
> > Use:
> >
> > Aterm*font: -bitstream-bitstream\ vera\ sans\ mono-medium-r-normal--16-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-15
> >
> > in ~/.Xdefaults (all on one line).
> >

> aterm still complain can not find this font.
>
> > Then:
> >
> > $ xrdb -load

Sorry. should have been:

$ xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults

> This command did not give any output, it held there and nothing happened.
> I have to Ctrl+C to stop it.
>

> > The size of the font can be varied by changing the 16 in that line.
> >
> > $ xlsfonts | less
>
> This did not give the output of "bitstream vera sans mono".

Does the dir /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/bitstream-vera/ exist?

If not you have to install: x11-fonts/bitstream-vera and follow the
instructions to change your xorg.conf and then restart X.

If it exists, you have to add the dir to xorg.conf like so:

        FontPath "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/bitstream-vera/"

under the "Files" section. Restart X.

X should read ~/.Xdefaults on start up & your font will be used for
aterm.

xlsfonts should also now list the bitstream vera fonts.

Regards,

--

 Frank