NFE setting manually to 1000baseT and half duplex

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Sun Jun 8 09:56:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:39:28AM +0200, Gelsema, P (Patrick) - FreeBSD wrote:
> On Sun, June 8, 2008 00:49, Michael Toth wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  You should be doing
> > # ifconfig nfe0 10.202.77.110 media 1000baseTX    <--- note the 'X'
> >

> Thanks, tried this but same error.
>
> hulk# ifconfig nfe0 10.202.77.110 media 1000baseTX
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (media): Device not configured
>
> hulk$ man nfe
> The nfe driver supports the following media types:
>
>      autoselect   Enable autoselection of the media type and options.
>
>      10baseT/UTP  Set 10Mbps operation.
>
>      100baseTX    Set 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) operation.
>
>      1000baseT    Set 1000Mbps (Gigabit Ethernet) operation (recent models
>                   only).
>
>      The nfe driver supports the following media options:
>
>      half-duplex  Force half duplex operation.
>
>      full-duplex  Force full duplex operation.
>
> Also for some strange reason I lost a couple of ip aliases and my default
> route whilst trying to change the media and mediaopt.
>
> I start to wonder if the combination 1000baseT and half duplex is
> possible. However setting the NIC manually to 1000baseT doesnt work
> either. IF set to autoselect it does negotiate to 1000baseT as I can see
> on the switch.

If you try to force the NIC to use full-/half-duplex, then you will need to
force the other end of the connection (i.e. the switch) to the same setting
(most cheap switches do not provide any way of forcing this.)
Having one end set to auto-negotiation, while the other is forced to a
specific setting will usually not work very well.

(IIRC a switch or NIC that is set to auto-negotiate, but where the
negotiation fails (possibly because the other end is not set to
auto-negotiate) will usually revert to 10Mbps/half-duplex, i.e. the
original, slowest, Ethernet speed.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson