Upgrading Kernel on a Remote Server

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Jun 5 16:38:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 12:15:44PM -0400, Schiz0 wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I recently ordered a FreeBSD server from a hosting company. This would
> be the first time I do not have physical access to a FreeBSD system.
> I'm looking for any hints/tricks/suggestions for managing and
> upgrading it safely (as in, not locking myself out or having boot
> errors). The host does not offer KVM/IP or serial port access.
>
> The host is installing 6.3-RELEASE. I'd like to upgrade to
> 7.0-RELEASE, as well as compile in some kernel options for various
> things. What's the best way to do this on a remote system, minimizing
> compiling a bad kernel and causing it not to boot? I wouldn't have
> access to single user mode or anything.

If you want 7.0, why not just ask the host to install that instead
of 6.3.   It can't cost them any more - may $0.50 for a CD blank.

That way, you are starting off on the desired foot anyway.
Of course, you should still csup to the latest source and build
it and install it and csup to the latest ports and docs before
you do any ports installation.

I don't know about wrinkles in doing it remotely because I have
always had the servers available to touch.  But, as long as you
don't do something to lock yourself out, then you should be OK.
Hopefully others with remote experience will respond to that.

////jerry