Upgrading Kernel on a Remote Server

Sean Cavanaugh millenia2000 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 16:35:44 UTC 2008

> Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:15:44 -0400
> From: schiz0phrenic21 at gmail.com
> To: Freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> CC:
> Subject: Upgrading Kernel on a Remote Server
>
> Hey,
>
> I recently ordered a FreeBSD server from a hosting company. This would
> be the first time I do not have physical access to a FreeBSD system.
> I'm looking for any hints/tricks/suggestions for managing and
> upgrading it safely (as in, not locking myself out or having boot
> errors). The host does not offer KVM/IP or serial port access.
>
> The host is installing 6.3-RELEASE. I'd like to upgrade to
> 7.0-RELEASE, as well as compile in some kernel options for various
> things. What's the best way to do this on a remote system, minimizing
> compiling a bad kernel and causing it not to boot? I wouldn't have
> access to single user mode or anything.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions/help/etc,
> ~Steve

do you have control of the whole box? most places I know that have online hosting like that run you inside a jail as a VPS style system.

to answer your original comments, I would say to contact their tech support department and see if you can coordinate with them to have it upgraded to 7.0. If they dont support it, then you are going to be on your own with the install and may have to have them reimage it if you get a bad install. Some places will be willing to do a local base install for your or at least help get over any hurdles with upgrading.

-Sean