intrusion? find is thrashing my disk every time I boot.

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Wed Jun 4 18:25:43 UTC 2008

I'm really no security expert.  I don't leave the system up 24/7, and
I'm on a US DSL connection with a bunch of windows boxes.

Seems to be a recent phenomena, I've started experiencing disk
thrashing I can hear across the room.  ps and top report cvslockd has
been responsible for the thrashing (which usually occurs at a specific
time of day (~1 am MST)), but now, find is doing the thrashing at boot
every time (within the last week at least).  Needless to say, I
haven't changed the system in any way during that week.  On windows,
I'd just assume this to be normal behavior, but on FreeBSD, it's got
me worried...

I presume the security section of the manual has a good into to
detecting intruders, but first I'm interested if there is a legitimate
reason for find to be torturing my disk.  I don't run much on my
system - apache, cvs, portsnap, ssh, that's about it.

Thanks,
Steve