freeBSD7 in a vm (vmware fusion) - Shared object "lib.so.6" not found

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Wed Jun 4 17:04:33 UTC 2008

kevin kempter wrote:
> Hi All;
>
>  This seems to be more of a lib not found than a vm issue:
>

> I've done this:
>
> 1) installed freeBSD 7 in vmware fusion (v 1.1.3)
>
> 2) selected to install vmware tools from the menu
>
> 3) logged into the console as root
>
> 4) mounted the vmware virtual cd
>
> 5) copied the vmware tools tar.gz file to /tmp
>
> 6) expanded the vmware tools tar.gz file in /tmp
>
> 7) cd to the new vmware-toold-distrib dir and ran ./vmware-install.pl
>
>  Then I get this:
>

> Before running VMware Tools for the first time you need to configure
> it by invoking the following command:
> "/usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want this program to
> invoke the command for you now? [yes]
>

> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found, required
> by "vmware-checkvm"
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found, required
> by "vmware-checkvm"
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found, required
> by "vmware-checkvm"
>
> This configuration program is to be executed in a virtual machine.
>

> Execution aborted.
>

> I also tried starting KDE and in a Konsole terminal window (as root)
> running /usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl  and I get the same results
>

> Anyone have any thoughts?
>

> Thanks in advance...

Funny thing, I was doing the same steps today in vmware workstation ;)
Had the same problems, and the following is the solution:

Install the compat6x port. Seems the vmware tools are for the 6.X
version of FreeBSD, not native 7.

As root:

cd /usr/ports/misc/compat6x
make install clean

Also, create the following symbolic link (This is where vmware searches
for the library):

ln -s /usr/local/lib/compat/libc.so.6    /lib