Help Installing Sun JDK on FreeBSD

Vince Hoffman jhary at unsane.co.uk
Wed Jun 4 08:45:37 UTC 2008

triggerme2ice wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if anyone would know of a brute force way of installing the
> (newest possible) sun JDK on FreeBSD 5.0 (or any other versions for further
> info)
>
> Help a freeBSD user in need :teeth:

The latest version in ports is 1.6.0.3p4 if you need more receent than
that then no idea. If thats ok then
cd /usr/port/java/jdk16
make
Follow the instructions

Also see http://www.freebsd.org/java/
5.x has just been announce as no longer supported by ports though,
although support wont be removed, just not updated and checked as
changes are made.

	You will need a current jdk to compile it though and need to get the
source files manually. To get a jdk to compile it I'd recommend
installing the package from
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml
Although you could install one of the linux-sun-jdk* ports if you
prefer. you can pkg_delete the old jdk once you have the new one installed.

Vince