Reverse proxy recommendation

Thomas Mullins tsmullins at wise.k12.va.us
Mon Jun 2 18:32:02 UTC 2008

Most thanks,

FreeBSD ports are great.

Shane

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of David
Robillard
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 10:58 AM
To: Thomas Mullins
Cc: FreeBSD Questions
Subject: Re: Reverse proxy recommendation

On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 10:26 -0400, Thomas Mullins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have three internal web servers that we make accessible to the
> internet.  Right now we simply use pf and port redirection.  Works
> great.
>
> But, we would like to tighten up security.  I know you can do this
> with squid, apache and a few others.  Could someone please make a
> recommendation on what solutions they have used or seen in the past?
>
> Thanks
> Shane

You may want to check the www/varnish port. From the ports description:

This is the Varnish high-performance HTTP accelerator.

Documentation and additional information about Varnish is available on
<URL:http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/>.

Technical questions about Varnish and this release should be addressed
to <varnish-dev at projects.linpro.no>.

Questions about commercial support and services related to Varnish
should be addressed to <varnish at linpro.no>.

WWW: http://www.varnish-cache.org/

And from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnish_cache

I've never used it myself, but looks interesting since it's been created
by Poul-Henning Kamp which is a major FreeBSD developer.

HTH,

David
--
David Robillard