Stumped:: web HTML. Caution, may be OT.

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Jun 1 07:48:30 UTC 2008

IE6 is the last MS browser available for W2K and even though W2K
was out for only a short time, (compared to XP) unlike Win98, it is
a real 32 bit version of Windows, and there's still a lot of it
out there.

Although, after the US economic stimulus checks are received by
the general populace, I'm sure that will change somewhat.

(I was very tempted when I opened the Fry's Electronics advert
today and saw the Toshiba laptop, dual-core CPU, 1GB ram, 160GB disk with
a DVD burner, going for $449.99)

> > Telling people "my site is fine your browser is fucked, get a
> > better one" is the mark of an amateur who is also being extremely
> > presumptive.  It's the old "do it my way or fuck off"
>
> You forget that Gary is an amateur. Hence, any complaints can be dealt
> with "they validate, F off and get a better browser". (When he gets
> round to making them validate :)

:-)  He is an amateur - but his content isn't the sort of content
that is a "must have" to where people will actually go to the
trouble of loading a different browser to view it.

(Hint: this is why virtually all church services are free to attend)

> > This is what Microsoft tells people - and most FreeBSDers and
> > Linux people claim they are on the moral high ground because they
> > aren't forcing their stuff down people's throats - that is,
> > until they create a webpage and then they have no problem forcing
> > software down people's throats to see it, I guess....
>
> I can't see anything wrong with telling people to use better software,
> you're doing them a favour! It's obviously different if you're writing
> pages for a commercial site.

I'm not sure I follow that...

> You should still write pages that
> validate and there are various hacks you can use with CSS, the DOM and
> Javscript to make your pages appear OK in older broken browsers...and
> newer ones with bugs.

But why do you need to do those if your telling people to get a
better browser... ;-)

Ted